- Peel and core 4 pears.
- Bring poaching liquid to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add pears and cook until knife tender.
- Remove liquid and pears and refrigerate together until cool, at least an hour, but is better over 24 hours.
- Render bacon in a saute pan until crisp.
- Remove bacon and allow to cool.
- Add shallots to warm bacon fat, saute to translucent.
- Add garlic and vinegar and reduce heat.
- Add brown sugar, whisk to incorporate.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool until warm.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil to emulsify.
- Season and reintroduce the reserved bacon.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Honey, oil or mustard can still be incorporated at this point to fit the flavor profile you desire.
149 Wentworth Street, Charleston, SC, 29401