Plantation Rice Bread
Yields 37 Rolls
Ingredients for Plantation Rice Bread
1 lb + 8 oz Bread Flour
10 oz Rice Flour
¾ oz Yeast
¾ oz Salt
13 ½ oz Water
4 oz Buttermilk
1 ½ oz Shortening
4 oz Butter
4 oz Sugar
4 oz Starter
Method of Plantation Rice Bread
Pick-up stage (speed 1)
• Place both flours, yeast, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix on speed 1.
• Add ½ of the water, buttermilk, and starter for approximately 30 seconds.
• Add all but 1 cup of the remaining water. Mix for another 30 seconds.
• Add the butter and shortening. Mix in.
• Check the moisture of the dough and add the remaining water if necessary.
Clean up stage (speed 2)
• Mix the dough on speed 2 for approximately 1 minute or until the bowl is clean.
Development stage (speed 3 and speed 2)
• Mix the dough on speed 3 for approximately 3 minutes. Then for approximately 3 more minutes on speed 2.
• At this point do a window stretch test to ensure the gluten is fully developed.
• Mix longer if necessary.
• Round off the dough.
• Mist and cover with pan sprayed plastic and allow to proof on table to 2 times its original size.
• Fold dough over itself while pushing down until all of the air has been expelled from the dough.
• While keeping the extra dough misted and covered to prevent a skin from forming, portion the dough into 1.½-1 ¾ oz rolls.
• On pan sprayed lined pans, place the rolls far enough apart that they will not touch when doubled.
• Mist the rolls.
• Place plastic wrap over top to ensure a skin will not form.
• Finished pans of rolls should be placed immediately in a cooler for 24 hours of slow proofing.
Proofing (Part 1)
• 24 hours later, remove the rolls to a speed rack.
• Leave covered and allow to come to room temperature for 45 minutes-1 hour.
• Then place in a proofer with humidity set at 6 and the temperature at 2 (91º-95ºF) until the rolls are ⅔ of the way proofed.
Dusting and Scoring
• Remove the pans one at a time.
• Put some rice flour into a small sifter.
• Mist the rolls with water to make them sticky.
• Dust the rolls evenly with a noticeable amount of the rice flour.
• Score each roll once down the middle, about ¼” deep, but no more.
Proofing (Part 2)
• Place each completed pan immediately back into the proofer for the last ¼ of the proof, until doubled in size. This also allows the score to open up fully.
• Once fully proofed, place the rolls in a 350º oven with a high fan.
• Bake approximately 6 minutes until front sides are brown.
• Spin the pans and bake an additional 4-6 minutes until evenly dark brown, but not burnt.
149 Wentworth Street, Charleston, SC, 29401
Arizona Wineries, AZ
Boca Raton, FL
Fort Myers, FL
Fort Wayne, IN
Fort Worth, TX
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hilton Head, SC
Los Angeles, CA
Mass Ave, IN
Myrtle Beach, SC
New Orleans, LA
Orange County, CA
Palm Beach, FL
Phoenix Metro, AZ
San Antonio, TX
Sanibel & Captiva Island, FL
South Bend, IN
St. Petersburg, FL
St Louis, MO
Tampa Bay, FL