West Indies Pepperpot Soup
Ingredients for West Indies Pepperpot Soup
3/4 pound salt-cured pork shoulder, diced (see Chef’s Note)
3/4 pound salt-cured beef shoulder, diced (see Chef’s Note)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 habañero pepper, seeded and chopped (see Chef’s Note)
1 cup chopped scallions
1 pound taro root, peeled and diced
1 gallon Beef Stock
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice (see Chef’s Note)
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
1 pound callaloo or collard greens, rinsed and chopped (see Chef’s Note)
Method for West Indies Pepperpot Soup
• In a large stockpot, sauté the pork and beef in the oil over high heat for 10 minutes, until brown.
• Add the onion, garlic, and habañero pepper, and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
• Add the scallions and sauté for 3 minutes.
• Add the taro root and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes more, until translucent.
• Add the stock, bay leaves, thyme, allspice, and pepper.
• Bring to a boil over high heat.
• Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes, until the meat and taro root are tender.
• Stir in the callaloo.
• Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the callaloo is wilted.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Serve in a tureen or divide among individual soup bowls.
• Serve with Sweet Potato Biscuits, if desired.
138 S. 2nd St at Walnut, Philadelphia, PA, 19106
Arizona Wineries, AZ
Boca Raton, FL
Fort Myers, FL
Fort Wayne, IN
Fort Worth, TX
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hilton Head, SC
Los Angeles, CA
Mass Ave, IN
Myrtle Beach, SC
New Orleans, LA
Orange County, CA
Palm Beach, FL
Phoenix Metro, AZ
San Antonio, TX
Sanibel & Captiva Island, FL
South Bend, IN
St. Petersburg, FL
St Louis, MO
Tampa Bay, FL